Monday, February 6, 2012

Personality and Brand Choice: Can Your Favorite Brands Reveal Your EQ?

After reading take the survey and discus your results


by Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic, Ph.D.


Although marketeers regularly speak about "brand personality," they rarely profile brands or products with the rigor of psychological tools (especially those used to profile people). Yet it is quite obvious that different brands have different reputations, and that we can only assess a brand's reputation by exploring consumers' perceptions.


A couple of decades ago psychologists identified the major dimensions underlying brand personality. This work, led by US psychologist Jennifer Aaker, suggested that perceptions of brands - and products - can be classified according to 5 major dimenions: (a) sincerity, (b) excitement, (c) competence, (d) sophistication, and (e) ruggedness. Related studies showed that people's choices are a reflection of the extent to which their own personality, specifically their self-image or identity, is congruent with the reputation of a brand. For instance, if you think of yourself as sophisticated you will prefer more sophisticated brands or products over their less sophisticated alternatives--and hopefully you will also be able to afford them, too! Likewise, if you see yourself as an exciting person you will prefer more exciting brands, and so forth. So far, most studies, and there aren't many, have focused on consumers' "Big Five" personality traits (Neuroticism, Extraversion, Openness, Agreeableness and Conscientiousness), which raises the question of whether other aspects of consumers' identity may predict what their favorite brands are. In our latest study, we explore the relationship between consumers' emotional intelligence (EQ) and their preferences for brands. 


Ever since the publication of Daniel Goleman's 1995 best-seller on EQ, there has been a great deal of excitement within the business community for assessing employees' EQ. This is not surprising given that EQ appears to assess elements of human competence that are largely unrelated to IQ and crucial to facilitate team-performance, citizenship behaviour, and the capacity to remain calm under pressure. For the same reasons, one could imagine that consumers' EQ would influence their choices for different brands and products. For instance, people high in EQ tend to be altruistic, sincere, and optimistic; hence one would expect that they should prefer brands that are generally perceived as being altruistic, honest, and positive, etc. Moreover, given that brand personality consists of attributing human-like characteristics to brands (or making an attribution about a brand's reputation using traits such as those employed for describing people), one would also expect consumers' EQ to influence their attitudes towards people. Thus our latest study also explores how people's personality affects their preferences for different celebrities and public figures; specifically, whether these preferences are partly driven by the level of congruence between the raters' own identity and the celebrities' reputation.


The results should help us understand the connection between individual differences and consumer preferences, as well as revealing important information about the reputation of product and human brands. If you would like to take part in our study you can complete our very brief survey and get instant feedback on your results here.

13 comments:

  1. Well, this is just an opinion really, like I really dont care what brand it is, just as long as i like it, and it looks nice. People can view you based on your brands but overall, brands dont influence what kind of person you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that what a person thinks about themselves is the way they are going to act and involves themselves in with that same type of people

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the results of the study are true. When I think of rich people, I see men and women wearing high-quality tuxes, skirts, and just all-around nice clothes. Basically, clothes that are sophisticated, and I'm sure that's how they see themselves as well. What you think about yourself definitely influences clothes choices and many other everyday things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really know if the clothes I choose affect my personality, maybe they do. I just buy what I can afford and what I think is cute. And everybody has their own tatste in clothes, but I think grouping people together who wear Hollister or whatever and saying their 'high maintenence' is dumb. I'm not saying anybody is saying that either, but I've heard it. I buy my clothes out of comfort and what appeals to me. Besides, Hollister jeans rip in the crotch anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think peoples clothing choices are influenced by how they view themselves, but when we judge others personality by what they wear we are often wrong about their real personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think this is very true, i also think its easier to notice it on other people though because most people feel that they are the normal one, and everyone else is way different..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont think that brand is everything for everyone. I also dont think brand can tell what kind of person you are. There are many different kinds of cloting that all have different brands. For me i like to wear 2 differnt kinds of clothing but i dont care what the brand it is. Some people will pay a lot of money for a brand but you can get the same thing for less if its not the brand name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My survey results: People with your profile tend to like other people and brands that reflect key aspects of emotional intelligence, such as altruism, spirituality, optimism, and influence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. goodness. Another talk about brands and rep. Like here it if you don’t wear Fox, Hollister, AE, or Silver Jeans then your not visible to anyone. People only talk to the people who wear theses brands and who can afford them. People are too judgmental about things that. Who care if you shop from clothes at target, Kmart, or even walmart? Clothes are clothes. I think as long as you have something to wear than it shouldn’t matter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brand names dont really affect my choice if I am going to purchase the clothing. Also I was really surprised on how accurate the results were. How did it get that information just by answering questions that didnt really have anything to do with it? I think the results were about 96% accurate. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looked at my clothes and found that the brands I enjoy wearing the most have been Converse, various recycled thread brands, and Calvin Klein. I think those brands feel good and look good, but the most important thing that matters to me when I buy clothes is whether it's cheap. My favorite places to buy clothes is Goodwill and Plato's Closet. I like certain brands but won't buy them anywhere except for cheap places.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm one of those people who doesn't need name brand clothes. As long as I have clothes. If I get something from Hollister, or A&F, then cool. But to me it's just another piece of clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. personally i'm not one to spend 100 dollars for jeans, 50 dollars for a sweatshirt and 30 dollars for a t-shirt. Name brand stuff isn't everything. i do have nice clothes but im not the type that has to wear everything name brand and top of the line. i will buy expensive stuff but theres times where i only like to go shopping if everythings on sale..

    ReplyDelete